QSwharfth.jpg (4017 bytes)Manly Quarantine Station

Quarantine Station History 1909 - 1949

Aboriginal
Heritage

History
Immigration

Buildings
in 1999

Carvings
on site

Residents
in the past

Natural
Environment
Conservation
Plan

Pre-1828

1828-1836

1837-1871

1872-1879

1880-1908

1909-1949

1950-1983

1984-1999

Federal Responsibility Phase

1909 The Quarantine Act of 1908 came into force which made quarantine the responsibility of the Commonwealth Government. The State Act was not repealed though and there was constant friction until Dr J.H.R. Cumpston became the Director of Quarantine in 1913.

1921 Commonwealth Department of Health established with Dr Cumpston as first Director-General.

1911-12 Major administration block was built

1913-1914 Many additions were made. Isolation wards were built in the hospital and smaller hospital buildings were demolished, rebuilt or renovated.

1913-1917 The present wharf area was laid out and built.

1914-1919 First World War. The Quarantine Station was used for Military quarantine and the Seaman's Isolation Hospital was built.

1818 The "Argyllshire" arrived with 1014 mostly injured soldiers from World War I onboard. One case of suspected influenza was on board so the ship was quarantined. The soldiers mutineed after discovering snakes in their tents.
The "Bellubera" was sent to Manly to collect them and they marched through the streets of Sydney wearing face-masks before being accommodated at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

1918-1919 Influenza pandemic which eventually claimed 20 million lives around the world. The station was overwhelmed with many troopships returning from Europe in quarantine because of influenza.

1921 The "Niagara" was quarantined for smallpox.

1922 April 15 - "SSComeric" - Captain Blackmore
The people from this ship made rock carvings.

1920s The number of vessels in quarantined reduced to a trickle as the facilities on Thursday Island were upgraded and this became the first port of call for ships entering Australian waters.

1923 The "S.S. Tai Yuan" was quarantined for smallpox.

1926 The "Barrabool" with smallpox. Engraving mentions S.W. Clay, M. Spoor, J.C.Watkins and E.M.Perkins.

1930 The "Aorangi" was quarantined for smallpox.
The "S.S.CHANG TE"  was quarantined for smallpox.
The "S.S.NUI YU" was quarantined. Government agrees to lease 300 acres of Quarantine land to Manly Council for parkland reserve provided they build a 10foot stone wall.

1832-33 Stone Wall built with Federal Grant. Large area of Quarantine Area land allocated to military uses.

1935 The "Aorangi" was quarantined for smallpox again. Most of the passengers treated this as a two week holiday and there was a jovial atmosphere.

1940 "M.S. Batory" - British evacuee children

1949 The "S.S. Mooltan" quarantined for smallpox.

References:
Quarantine Station :
Sydney Harbour National Park CONSERVATION PLAN,

NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service 1997 printing
43 Bridge St, Hurstville, NSW 2220, Australia

Quarantine Station :
Sydney Harbour National Park Open Day booklet 1999
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service
Visitors Services Unit, Scenic Drive, Manly, NSW 2220, Australia

QS706.jpg (28120 bytes)
Carvings from near the wharf

QS1006B.jpg (19100 bytes)
Nikko Maru - 1916
Photo : J.Simpson

QS1006A.jpg (12494 bytes)
Carvings - 1916
Photo : J.Simpson

QScarving.jpg (15102 bytes)
RMS NIAGARA - INFLUENZA
OCT 1918
Carved into the rock near the wharf.
Photo : J.Bennett


SS Taiyuan
Photo courtesy the Swire Group of Companies.


SS Tsinan
Photo courtesy the Swire Group of Companies.

Pre-1828

1828-1836

1837-1871

1872-1879

1880-1908

1909-1949

1950-1983

1984-1999

This page was created 2nd June, 1999, by Judith Bennett,  Friends of Quarantine Station,
and was last modified 20th January, 2007.