QSwharfth.jpg (4017 bytes)Manly Quarantine Station

Quarantine Station History 1880 - 1908

Aboriginal
Heritage

History
Immigration

Buildings
in 1999

Carvings
on site

Residents
in the past

Natural
Environment
Conservation
Plan

Pre-1828

1828-1836

1837-1871

1872-1879

1880-1908

1909-1949

1950-1983

1984-1999

Board of Health Phase

1881 - 1882 Serious smallpox epidemics occcurred in Sydney.

1881 The Infectious Diseases Supervision Act resulted in the establishment of the Board of Health in 1882 to administer the Quarantine Acts reporting to the Colonial Treasurer. Many improvements were made at the Quarantine Station.

1883 Two new buildings were added to the second class accommodation (replacing the barracks). Also there was a new store, boatman's cottage, steam laundry, coal shed and fumigation sheds. The old jetty was replaced with a 50 foot boat ramp and shed.

1883 "Menmuir" quarantined with a large number of Chinese immigrants due to smallpox.

1883 SS Hoihow, was quarantined carrying the remains of 230 Chinese people, who had died in New Zealand, back to Hong Kong for burial. The remains were transferred to the quarantine hulk Faraway, whilst arguments raged between authorities but eventually the remains were transferred back to the SS Haihow which left the quarantine ground and proceeded on her voyage to Hong Kong (the "Flowery Land").

1886 New first class accommodation block was built and extensions were made to the family quarters. A tennis court was laid out.

1890s New recreation rooms, meat store, ablution blocks and telephone office were added.

1896 The Board's powers were increased with a Public Health Act.

1899 Construction of Asiatic accommodation was commenced.

1900 Bubonic plague outbreak in Sydney - many sufferers were brought to the Quarantine Station. Everyone who died of the disease was buried at the Station.

1901 The Lynes Buildings were erected.

1901 SS Chingtu quarantined due to smallpox. The ship was bringing back members of the NSW Chinese Naval Contingent from peacekeeping duties in Tientsin and Peking following the Boxer Rebellion.

QS421.jpg (25731 bytes)
Rock Cliff on Quarantine site
Photo : J.Simpson

QS421A.jpg (26119 bytes)
Close up of  Rock Cliff on Quarantine site
Carving from 1885
Photo : J.Simpson



SS Hoihow
Photo courtesy the Swire Group of Companies.


SS Chingtu at Kobe in 1909
Photo courtesy the Swire Group of Companies.
 

1902 Medical membership of the Board was increased.

1904 More building took place at the Quarantine Station.

Bushfires were a continuing problem and so the bushland was regularly culled from near buildings.

References:

Sydney Harbour National Park CONSERVATION PLAN,

NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service 1997 printing
43 Bridge St, Hurstville, NSW 2220, Australia

Sydney Harbour National Park Open Day booklet 1999
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service
Visitors Services Unit, Scenic Drive,
Manly, NSW 2220, Australia

Otago Evening Star:

QS504B.jpg (38810 bytes)
BUSH 1900
Photo : J.Simpson

(The script of a series of articles from this newspaper was supplied by the archivist of the Swire Group of companies)
The series was titled: "The voyage of The China Navigation Company's Hoihow from Dunedin to Sydney, August-September 1883."
Excerpts dated August 9, September 3, September 6 and September 12


Pre-1828

1828-1836

1837-1871

1872-1879

1880-1908

1909-1949

1950-1983

1984-1999

This page was created 2nd June, 1999, by Judith Bennett,  Friends of Quarantine Station,
and was last modified 20th January, 2007.